22.1.17

the people proved equal to the task


I have never been one to push my views on to others, nor will I ever be that person. But it's needless to say that after the events of the past few days that those who are willing to shout their voice in the name of important issues, should be doing so. Whenever in discussion with someone about an important issue within society, whether that's politics (yes, this girl follows the political world) racism, feminism or the frankly stupid bloody train strikes, I get worked up fairly quickly. I don't really have a calm conversation ability when it comes to important issues, not because I'm overly opinionated or because I think my voice is more important, but because of the passion I hold.




As millennials, if we go back to when we were in school, we learnt about the Egyptians, long division, how to not burn yourself on a Bunsen burner, which inevitably ended up happening to one kid who thought they'd wave their hand through it because #classidiot.

But did we learn about the current events and standing issues in society?

I was lucky enough to grow up in a family where I was always encouraged to have my own views, I never had a specific way of life or beliefs pushed on to me, and so now, at the age of 21, I can hold my own and tell people what I think, without questioning whether my views are really my own. However, as we are all more than aware, this isn't the case with everyone. Some people have grown up in the presence of racists, sexists, misogynists, chauvinists, to which I'd honestly like to offer my deepest sympathies to Piers Morgans children as I couldn't imagine a more disappointing figure of authority to aspire to when growing up. I won't dwell on the issues Mr Morgan has presented to society as I'd be on my way to writing a full dissertation and as much as I dislike the man, the problem doesn't lay solely with him.




Today, I want to focus on feminism...

I find it really sad to think back to the age of which I first realised that there was a difference in the way men and women are viewed within society, as I don't think it was until the age of 16. It took me until the age of 16 to obtain the knowledge that there was a SUBSTANTIAL difference in how the two genders are treated. Of course there was the separation in sport classes at school, but I always thought that was normal, but even saying that now makes me realise how ingrained in to society it is to treat the two genders differently.

WHY was this not being taught at school.
WHY was the issue of feminism in society not being taught in our syllabus.
WHY was I leaving school, unaware of the issues I was going to face as a woman.

If it wasn't for the internet and wide use of social media, this would be no different today. We are extremely lucky to have a such a versatile platform that allows us to use our voices to reach millions of people. The messages that we put out online have the ability to echo throughout peoples minds and make a difference, it enables people to teach one another things that they may have not otherwise learned.

My understanding of feminism initially came from Emma Watson, I remember watching a video of her speaking at the UN, and I don't think it was until this moment that I realised how much of an issue establishing equal grounds for genders in society, truly was, correction, is. It makes me happy to hear the issue now being spoken about on news channels on a daily basis, with many actress' coming forward and declaring their co-star, male, being paid more double than what she was. In the workplace, regardless of whether it's Hollywood, a retail store or on a banking floor, there seems to be a built up stereotype of women not being as able, not as emotionally strong or as well intellectually equipped to do their job...

I know of men, that cry.
I know of women, that are strong.
I know of men, that ask for help.
I know of women, who save those in need.
I know of men, who want to build a family and loving home.
I know of women, that make astounding breakthroughs in their fields.
I know of men, that raise their children impeccably.

If you're a man and you're offended by the things I've attributed you to, know that those things that women have been conformed to be within society. I find it absurd that we are living in the 21st century where major leaps and bounds are being made within various industries, diseases are being cured, gay marriage has been legalised, but it's still a huge question as to whether women should be considered as equals of men. The one thing that gives me hope is that every day the movement is getting stronger, people with stronger voices within the public are stepping up to speak about the problem, spreading knowledge, and giving the public a ground to make waves and educate their friends and family.

If you ever find yourself questioning whether your voice matters, just remember Rosa Parks was one of the most, if not the key individual in the civil rights movements, she was one woman that said no, and people followed.

We are people, not genders, we are what we are capable of, not of what gender we identify.
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. WELL WHAT A BLOODY FABULOUS POST THIS IS. Preach it gurlll! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this post, so beautifully written and YES GIRL for bringing it to the blogosphere, so many more people need to shout about it.
    Christy x
    StyleRarebit.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig